Case Study: Eagle Specialty Products
Company Info: Industrial manufacturer of color pigments for coatings, paints and corrective additives
Project Overview: Create a 40,000 square foot explosion proof storage room
Problem: The customer needed an explosion proof area to store their paint pigment and chemicals, but they didn’t know how to go about creating the explosion proof atmosphere or how to get it classified.
Solution: PCS Energy worked with the customer to get the room ready by removing all of the existing electrical system in storage room area, which was not explosion proof; this included all conduit – high, medium and low voltage wire – all power panels, breakers, switches, etc – all lighting fixtures and components – anything else that carries an electrical current. This included 300 mcm high voltage cable, 4000V panels, and extremely large capacity heaters.
PCS Energy then designed an electrical layout that would conform to Class 1, Div 2 explosion proof environment, and had it stamped by an engineer. From there, PCS Energy installed all the components to the specified engineered stamped drawings. This installation included all conduit, wire, explosion proof light fixtures, installing power panels on the outside of the explosion proof room wall, and safely running power from those panels into the classified room. PCS Energy was also responsible for permitting and completing the inspection with the inspector.
Case Study: McCormack Baron Salazar
Company Info: Nation-wide, Multi-family Property Management Company
Project Overview: Upgrade their lighting for better security while also decreasing their energy consumption.
Problem: The client’s properties were poorly lit, with unreliable lighting systems, that used very old lighting technology creating a very high electrical consumption. It was also a very unsafe environment.
Solution: PCS Energy removed all the existing indoor and outdoor common area lighting, which was extremely inefficient, and we upgraded it to LED. We did this at (7) of their properties and achieved the following results:
- Completed $181K worth of upgrades
- Used our position with the local utility efficiency program to get 60% of the project paid for through the utility program
- Achieved annual kw hour savings of approximately 1.2M, resulting in about $90K / year in energy savings
- Achieved annual maintenance savings of approximately $65K / year
- Created a payback of less than 6 months; an ROI of 200%; an NPV of $600K
Case Study: Eagle Specialty Products
Company Info: Industrial manufacturer of color pigments for coatings, paints and corrective additives.
Project Overview: Upgrade the lighting in their 500,000 square ft facility to LED.
Problem: Their existing lighting was extremely inefficient and unreliable. Their facility was facing an extreme increase in maintenance because of the aging lighting system, as well as rising utility costs.
Solution: PCS Energy retrofit and replaced the aging, failing lighting system with LED lights and new fixtures. We improved the reliability of the electrical system and the facility lighting, reduced the facility maintenance costs, and significantly decreased the overall energy consumption. This project produced the following financial rewards:
- Completed over $116,000 worth of lighting upgrades with only $5800 out-of-pocket cost to the customer
- Created $100,800 in incentives from Ameren Energy Efficiency program
- Reduced the customers energy consumption by over 962,000 kw/h per year, realizing a decrease of about $88,000 a year in their electrical bill
- This project created an ROI of over 1700% with an NPV of almost $496,000